20 December 2010

Of Overshadowing

"Is he making sounds, such as 'Dada,' 'Mama,' 'Baba'?" Emmett's doctor asked me at his six-month well-baby check-up today.

"Um . . . "  Flashbacks of a previous blog post along with questions asked at his four-month appointment which left me answering in my head, "I have no idea if he's reaching for things - he never has the chance when laying all alone on the couch."  Only this time the answer in my head was, "His sister's too loud for him to get a word (or sound) in edge-wise."

So, no.  Emmett is not making distinguishable sounds at the moment.  For now what he gives us are snippets of "Aaaaah." and "Yaaaah." accompanied by high-pitched squeals of excitement squeezed into those tiny moments when his sister is silent (in other words, she's sleeping).

In the meantime, he's too busy staring wide-eyed at her every movement or giggling in delight with every "Hi, Emmett!", marveling at the energy wound up in such a small package.  I'm sure he's telling himself, "If that's what I have to keep up with, it's not worth it.  I'm more than happy with being a spectator of life."

My charge to you, Emmett, boy, is to stand up on your two chubby feet and live your life - step out of your sissie's shadow every now again.  You're a star all on your own.

PS Our bubba boy (this is one of the many names I call him) currently weighs 18lb 8oz and is 28 inches long.  He's a'growin!

No comments:

Post a Comment