07 January 2010

More Adventures in Mommyhood

I realize it's been awhile since I've said anything about how daily life has been around our house. Baby Girl is a-growin'! We are officially the parents of a toddler and, while there are drawbacks, I actually really enjoy it - like the fact that I can say, "Come on, let's go change your diapey" (yes that's what I call it, don't mock me) and lo and behold, she'll pull up on her two tiny tootsies and toddle after me toward the nursery. Now if she could only climb up on the changing table . . .

And please know I'm teasing about that last part - my child will NEVER learn that climbing the furniture is ok - I can only pray she does not turn out like me, who, as an 8-year-old child, in an attempt to avoid the lava on the floor of my bedroom, or for any other excuse I could dream up would, no joke, stand on the doorknob of my closet door and swing it from side to side. Pretty sure my mom never saw that - or maybe I blocked out the whoopin' that resulted from it - I can't be sure.

She's also cuter than ever as she's trying out new words - well, mostly "no" and sometimes "hi" and "bye". In fact, the stockers and cashiers at our local grocery store are big fans of our little miss. They light up when she walks in the store and she does all she can to charm them all. Big smiles, waves and "hi's" for everyone! It's actually rather a pleasure to shop with such a social butterfly. Someday we'll need to introduce the concept of "stranger." I'm thinking that's going to be a difficult one for her.

Finally, I'll end with my husband's favorite recent story of our little firecracker. A couple of weeks ago, after indulging in lunch and play-time with his girl it was time to head back to work. She sat in his lap and he tried to explain to her that it was time for him to go. We're not sure how much she understands yet, but she responded with her favorite word: "No!" Daddy explained that he has to.
"But why?" (That's what it sounded like to us anyway.)
"Well, because Daddy has to earn money for food so you and Mommy can eat."
"Blibber blabber, blabber boo" (We took this to mean something of "I don't have to eat.")
"That's very sweet of you, but Mommy and Daddy still need food. Do you want Mommy to go to work so I can stay here?"
No joke. She looked me right in the eye, raised her arm high, waved and gave an emphatic, "Bye bye!"

I can feel the love.

9 comments:

  1. Aren't those moments great!

    Let her stay home with Daddy though for more than a couple of days and Mom starts to look REALLY good!

    She sounds like a joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just popping over from company girls coffee! That last story actually got me to laugh out loud! Sounds like you have a fun handful for a little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I love the story about you swinging around on your closet door. That was the kind of thing I woul imagine doing without having the nerve to actually DO it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing the growth and change from babyhood to toddler to preschooler.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love little ones at that age...they are the best. Enjoy her while you can!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss my niece being in her toddler days. Wait till yours starts talking more. It's absolutely amazing what they come up with and the things they figure out.

    One of my favorites was when my niece was five. My sister is a single mom and always worked. During Christmas Sis was off, and the two of them fought like cats and dogs (they are just alike). Mom finally sent them to their separate corners. My niece came and sat by me, so I could read to her. She looked up at me and said, "Mommy and I just cannnot spend this much time together." They were both happy to get back to school and work. She's 14 now. It really is incredible how time flies. And I still can't believe the kid is taller than me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Toddler times are precious. I have a three year old and a just turned 2 year old...I've got lots of great stories too. They just say cute stuff! Thanks for sharing your cute moments. She is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You will be happy that all these stories and memories are written down for you to remember. . .

    ReplyDelete