20 February 2009

Fire Starter

Philip and I have been married nearly three years and in that time I have started as many fires. Now, we could argue, and I do, that one of those fires was hardly my fault. Honestly, who expects that plugging a flash drive into the USB port will cause their computer to internally combust? Not many, I tell you, not many. And we could argue, and I do, that the other two "fires" did not actually involve flames - merely burning embers and a lot of smoke.

Tonight's "fire" casualty was a Pyrex bowl which suffered the wrath of chocolate that was not so much chocolate by the time the microwave was done with it, as much as ashes and glowing embers - the bowl fought as hard as it could, but within five minutes of being rescued from the heat and smoke, the glass could no longer take the pressure and at 6:45 this evening (give or take a half hour - honestly the clock was the least of my worries at the time) it passed - very loudly and explosively. It took with it a nice pile of baking soda.

It shall be missed.

3 comments:

  1. This is part of the reason that I really don't like glass bowls. I have them, but you will almost never see me cook with them. I'm just too worried that something like this might happen.
    The only fire I've started was a baked potato. It exploded in the oven, I waited for the oven to cool to clean it out, promptly forgot to clean the oven, then used the oven for something else. Our OBU apartmet smelled like French fries for awhile...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my wife almost burned down the UCO BCM one year, because she sometimes has a habit of putting the microwave on whatever number she feels like, and then says "Oh, I'll watch it." Then she walks away. Next thing you know, the entire building is filled with smoke...delicious.

    ReplyDelete