25 October 2008

Best Buy - Mommy Style

As a mom of six and a half weeks, I have noticed there are some things I am SO grateful we invested in before Micaiah was born, even if I wasn't so sure at the time if they were necessary. There are plenty of baby things on the market that are not worth the money and sometimes it's hard to sift through the good things and the bad - especially when your baby budget is not so large (or rather non-existant). So, for those of you moms, new, old, soon-to-be, or someday, maybe - I wanted to share my favorites with you! Here they are, in no particular order - what I consider to be the top five investments for your baby (aside from the obvious - of course a place for your baby to sleep is really a number one priority and maybe a way to get her from here to there - I figure there are basics you can figure out on your own - these are some extras some people may not consider . . .).

1) Cloth Diapers - Now some people may just skip over this part, disgusted by the idea of poo-covered pieces of cloth that are not destined for the trash, or cringing at the thought of using pins near your tiny precious bundle. But fear not, the cloth diapers of our mothers' era have gone by the wayside. Today's cloth diapers offer many conveniences - such as snaps or velcro, microfiber inserts to increase absorption, thus basically eliminating diaper rash and fleece linings to bring comfort to that tiny bum. It's true that not all cloth diapers are created equal, so do your research first, and the initial cost may not be too appealing, but when you consider how much you would spend on disposables over time, not to mention the inconvenience of running out of diapers just when she's had that major blowout, thus creating frantic last minute Wal-Mart runs - you can see how these may not be such a bad idea!

2) Motion Sensor Baby Monitor - If you're one who is terrified of SIDS (and what mother isn't?) - after you have taken all of the stuffed toys out of your little one's crib, made sure to lay her quietly on her back while the temperature of the room stayed low and no smoking individual was allowed within ten miles of her - you will turn on this monitor and breathe a sigh of relief that you do not have to sit there and watch her chest rise and fall for the next three years of her life. This monitor, with a pad under the mattress, detects the slightest movement (ie breathing) and alerts you by beeping if there is no motion for twenty seconds. Yes there are false alarms, but I'll take them if I can have the security of knowing that something is making sure she's alive!

3) Baby Swing - I didn't really see the need to have one if we were going to have a bouncer, but after watching a video in our birthing class where the instructor swore by the ability of the swing to calm a baby who won't stop crying, dear hubby was convinced the swing would save our lives, if not the world. I didn't quite buy it, but I did buy the swing when I saw one at a garage sale for a quarter of market value - just to make him happy. MY HUSBAND IS SOOOO WISE! It may not necessarily calm her down, but it is a great place to lay her for naps during the day or while I'm trying to get things done - especially considering she's not such a fan of the bouncer yet!

4) Temporal Artery Thermometer - I've only used this occasionally thus far and really just for the fun of it, but it's the most amazing thermometer ever! You just push the button and swipe it quickly across her forehead (or yours when you really feel like playing with it - it can even tell you the temperature in the room - I'm telling you I have fun with this toy) to see her temperature accurately displayed. She could be squirmy as all get out and it doesn't matter! Sure beats holding a digital thermometer under a flailing armpit (or in, ahem, other places) for twenty seconds.

5) Nursing Pillow - I knew I needed one because everyone has one, but I honestly didn't use it for the first couple of weeks and found myself thinking - maye it wasn't necessary. And then I started using it. And now it follows me everywhere! It definitely gives the arms a break during feeding time! Also, I use this to prop her up while sleeping sometimes when she's suffering from gas or reflux. It has a warning right on its label not to do that - but I figure I have my motion-sensor monitor to alert me in the worst-case scenario ;) (And it really does help her!)

Runner-Up - Baby carrier - We used ours at my brother's wedding so we could dance the night away and keep an eye on her at the same time. She slept through everything! In fact, she ALWAYS falls asleep in it. Love it!

That's it. It's my advice to you. Actually - even better advice: don't buy any of this at market price, please! I got every one of the top five from either garage sales, ebay, craigslist, or when all else failed, through using gift cards (you'll get some, promise). Do your research and shop ahead and you'll find a bargain every time! I can't emphasize that enough! Your baby does not NEED to have everything brand new - there is no shame in secondhand as long as it's clean and still functions. Save the money for the hospital bill - trust me!

No comments:

Post a Comment