29 October 2008

Once burned, twice shy

I am a vagrant, a wanderer. In this age of the information super-highway, I am a hitchhiker in a weary land. Through these days, weeks of computer-craziness, I have packed up all my digital belongings on an external harddrive, toting it to any computer who will let me in. Not wanting to overload my husband's machine with my excess baggage, I simply kept everything neatly in its place - saved all new documents, pictures and downloads on my harddrive and zipped it up neatly at the end of the day. Now that I have a "home" again, I am like the storm-battered exile - wary to believe this place is for real - permanent. I am afraid to unpack and make myself at home for fear that this, too, will vanish - be swept away by another tornado of computer-filled anguish. So, still, I tote my bags from place to place - where goes the laptop, there goes the external harddrive - constantly working off of it, saving to it and letting nothing touch the virginal harddrive of the new machine. And yet, I still fear. What if someone stole the harddrive? Where would I be then? I need a back up of my back up! Oh the simplicity of the digital age - the ability to keep everything stowed in one, compact location - and the ability to have it all swept away in an equally poetic simple manner.

"I dare not trust the sweetest frame, but wholly lean on Jesus' name."

No comments:

Post a Comment