06 September 2012

Of Reaching the Finish Line

Well, my dear readers, we have arrived.  Day 30 of the Whole 30.  Which means we've survived.  The Whole 30.

Who would have ever thought we'd be standing here (or sitting here or barely here because my mind is so on chocolate chip cookies right now I can't think straight, which may or may not entirely scoff in the face of the entire past 30 days)?

We celebrated our final meal of Whole-30-ness with Shrimp Scampi and Mock Garlic Mashed Potatoes (minus the cheeses and Ghee rather than butter in both) - a meal that was a hit with everyone (especially our little boy who cried, "It's not enoooooouuugh!" when he received his tiny third helping).  It almost made me sad to say good-bye.  Until I remembered I still couldn't have dessert.  And then I was ready to kick the Whole 30 to the curb with it's bags behind it.

Which brings me to the rough part of this entire journey.  I'm so glad we did this and I really do feel like I appreciate real foods more - I love meat and I love vegetables (what?!) and while I'm ready to sprinkle cheese on my omelet, a bowl of cereal for breakfast just feels like a bit much.  There are some habits I feel might actually be gone (yay!) - but there are others that I just can't seem to kick.  Like that one that's been browsing Pinterest like an addict and itching to get back in the kitchen and just put something filled with flour, sugar and chocolate into that oven.

I'm trying to tame the beast.  But it so desperately wants out.

So have we accomplished anything in these thirty days?  Anything at all toward approaching food with a healthy mindset?  Time will tell, I suppose.  But all I know is, for now, my kids haven't asked for a cookie in at least three weeks and, while our precious girl was begging for McDonald's this evening (that was before she tasted dinner - and I'm still wondering where the plea came from, because it's not like we eat there more than once every three months anyway), I can tell they haven't been too terribly concerned about the lack of rolls at the dinner table.

Do I really want to mess with that?  I honestly don't think so.

1,000 Gifts:
846. Aroma of garlic filling the kitchen
847. Cauliflower masquerading as potatoes
848. My husband rushing me out the door to see the sunrise
849. Waking early enough to see a sunrise
850. Finally feeling like I have a grasp on the goal ahead
851. Duck, Duck, Goose
852. The big grin on his face as he hides under his towel
853. Face to face with my oldest son
854. The pride in his voice as he learns to be a big boy

Photos of the Day:
When I asked Micaiah for some quiet time so I could plan for her starting school at home next week, this is what she spent about 20 minutes doing.  Just reading the paper.

This is Joey's new trick.  He just loves flipping his tongue upside down, which baffles his Daddy and I because neither of us can do this.

Also, he's still just really cute.

Whole 30 - Day 30!!!
Breakfast - Egg, Sausage and Salsa Omelet, Bacon
Lunch - Leftover Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs
Dinner - Shrimp Scampi, Mock Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans

No comments:

Post a Comment