27 August 2012

Of Parenting our Mover

Y'all we have a mover on our hands.  After two kids who never seemed to be in a hurry to get anywhere, both waiting to crawl until nine months and walking at 15/16 months, I don't know what to do with myself!

No, Joey does not get up on hands and knees to crawl quite yet (though he does pull himself up for rocking now and then), but that boy can army crawl like nothin' else.  When I put him on the floor, I can no longer do a quick check of the small radius within arm's reach to be sure he's safe from choking hazards.  No, Ma'am (or Sir), Operation Constantly Clean Floors has commenced - and when that fails, he gets stuck in his exersaucer, because sometimes Mommy gets distracted and just can't be sure he's not squirming into another room to wreak havoc.

And it's so funny how quickly we forget how to transition into each new stage.  Yes, I've had two crawlers before, but for some reason I was drawing a complete blank on what this phase means for me.  I found myself asking, "How is he finding another piece of paper to put in his mouth amidst all these toys I gave him to play with and why don't I remember scrambling this much with the other two?"

And then it dawned on me.

With our previous little ones we were very deliberate about house-proofing our baby rather than baby-proofing our house.  True, I maintained clean floors and still tried to keep choking hazards out of baby reach, but for the most part we focused intently on teaching our children the word, "No!" and then employing that word whenever they were about to touch something undesirable.  It didn't take long for them, even at such a young age, to figure out what was okay and what would garner a slap on the wrist.

Duh.

Parenting.  That's what I did with the other two.  So why don't we try this again, rather than let the little monster run rampant?  Sounds like a plan.


1,000 Gifts:
799. Blue Whisper
800. Pre-shopping garage sales
801. Quality time sorting tacky clothes
802. Getting paid to clear out the clutter
803. Plans coming to fruition
804. Replacing Game Night snacks with good-for-us options

Photo from Saturday: We made a trip to Lowe's and Daddy made sure Joseph had on his "Daddy's Helper" onesie, complete with tool belt illustration.  Love them both!



Day 18 - 
Breakfast - Cowboy Breakfast Skillet (I was kind of afraid of this one, but it was actually pretty good)
Lunch - Leftover breakfast 
Dinner - Mexican Crockpot Stew (using previously cooked/shredded Chicken Carnitas)
Snack - Cherries

Day 19 - 
Breakfast - Scrambled Eggs, Banana
Lunch - Leftover Mexican Crockpot Stew
Snack - Plantain Chips
Dinner - Bacon, Roasted Red Pepper, Onion Frittata (Everyone LOVED this)
Movie Snack - Mixed Nuts, Dried Cranberries, Raisins (not quite popcorn, but still yum)

Day 20 - 
Breakfast - Scrambled Eggs, Fresh-Squeezed Orange Juice
Lunch - Mini Pizza Meatloaves, Salad
Snack - 1/2 Banana Bread Larabar
Dinner - Chicken Parmesan (minus the Parmesan and the Mozzarella), Green Beans, Salad

Worst Part of these Days: Salad Dressing.  I miss real salad dressing.

Best Part of these Days: Now two-thirds of the way done and only a week and a half from the finish line, we're planning our post-Whole-30 phasing back into real-life eating and I'm surprisingly ok with not jumping back into chocolate chip cookies and even holding off on the grains for a couple more days while we re-introduce dairy first.  My food has changed me!

1 comment: