22 December 2010

Of Awaiting the Messiah

Tonight Philip gave me one of the best gifts I have ever received: a copy of my favorite Christmas musical (from G.T. and the Halo Express) which I listened to on cassette tape (yes, I did) numerous times every Christmas which is saved in my memories.  I don't even remember where the tape came from or, sadly, where it went.  But tonight, in preparation for our Christmas road trip, Philip gave me my very own CD copy (which still shows signs of being behind the times, but sadly, even if I had anything on which to play mP3's, G.T. is not so technologically advanced - apparently we have something in common.)

My favorite aspect to this musical, designed to be performed by children's choirs across the nation yet I've never heard it in any arena wider than my own stereo speakers (which aren't very large), is the Bible verses set to song so that I have memorized many references to the birth story of Jesus, but more than that, these verses are not always the typical ones associated with the Christmas story.  Yes, we hear from the Shepherds, Wise Men and Angels, but also from Isaiah, who prophesied the birth of the Christ child and, my favorite, Simeon, who eagerly anticipated the arrival of the Messiah.

What I love about Simeon's story, as presented by G.T. and his choir, is the eager anticipation of the Savior of his people, not just the Israelites, but ALL people - "a light of revelation for the Gentiles."  I adore the eagerness in the voice of Simeon as he describes rushing to the temple day after day, seeking after the babe he had been awaiting.

And then there's the awe.

As he knows the day the Messiah is presented to the temple, his frail legs run with joy to greet the newborn Savior.  As he held the tiny baby in his arms wearied from years of seeking, he asks the child's name.

"Jesus,"  he breathes in pure adoration, "what a beautiful name."

To imagine this man, Simeon, holding this new being and knowing in his heart that he would grow to be the Messiah - the one prophesied in the Old Testament. And hearing his name for the first time.  A name so over-used and worn out in our culture - most often by those who profane our Savior.  And here it was on Simeon's lips, dripping like pure honey.  The most beautiful sound in the world.

I pray that my awe and adoration of the Christ child would mimic Simeon's this Christmas.  May I eagerly seek after him and breathe nothing but devotion and worship of the purest form.

No comments:

Post a Comment