15 December 2010

Of Making It Better

Micaiah has a habit of sucking on her fingers.  I've always been very happy that she's not paci-dependent and was also a little pre-occupied with my awe in how she bends her little arm to hold her fingers upside down in her mouth (you'd have to see it to understand, but trust me, I've tried it and it's not comfortable!) to really be all that worried about it.  When winter hits, though, the combination of dry weather and moisture sucked right out of the skin kills those tiny little fingers. 

Her first winter was spent with sock-covered hands to keep her itty bitty fist from chapping.  As icy temperatures chill the air once more, her poor little pointer and middle fingers have begun to crack - to the point of bleeding.  While we attempt to break her of the habit, my little heart breaks at the sight of blood on my baby girl.

But it makes it all better when she holds her finger out to me (as she did for the first time EVER today) and says in a small voice, "Tiss it." After receiving my pucker she brightens only slightly and mumbles, "Tank oo."  Oh, it's good to be a mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment