17 December 2010

Of Mood Cleansing

You might remember, a few days ago, I had a rather bad day (for me anyway) and it all started because of a lousy attitude about a simple haircut.  I have a feeling the Lord is teaching me that my outlook is my choice. 

Today started out even worse than a bad haircut - without boring anyone with details, I will say the morning included, among other things, an obstinate little potty trainer who needs to get her priorities straight (as in, getting to the toilet in time is slightly more important than turning on the light).  And, boy, was I prepared to stay crabby ALL day if I had to. 

But that's just the thing - I didn't have to.  No one ever has to be in a bad mood.  It's a choice.

And I chose to make a change. 

So, while one child sat buckled in her booster seat crunching Honey-flavored Kix and the other sat in his exer-saucer gnawing the attached plastic giraffe, I snuck away and treated myself to a shower (and believe me, for a stay-at-home mom of two tiny ones, that is a treat!). 

Under the warm flow of water, I allowed the pessimistic thoughts and angry mental tirades, which had been clouding my mind, to quietly slip down the drain.

As I stepped out of the shower (grateful not to hear any screaming or sounds of woe at having been abandoned to watch Diego by their lonesome), I felt as though I were starting a new day.

I thank God for the discipline which molds me each day into a person I like just a little bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment