07 December 2010

Of Decisions

Without being able to share more details, I will tell you that today was a day that left my head spinning with choices, BIG decisions to be made and the realization that sometimes options only make life more complicated (and a little difficult).  Good things are good, but they sometimes lead to tough choices.

I'm reminded of what it felt like when I was younger. 

I always wanted to be a teacher.  Always.  But I also thought I would double major (and when you're eight, knowing about the concept of double majoring makes you feel SO intelligent) and also get a veterinary degree because then I could work in the nursery at the zoo during the summer time.  It was such a perfect plan (until I realized zoos only make me sad - the animals always seem so depressed).  Oh, and I also thought I'd go to Harvard to accomplish all of this.  I didn't know this was a school best known for its legal coursework.  I only knew it was where the smart people went.  And, clearly, I was smart.

And then one day it occurred to me that there was a world of options out there!  I could be just about anything!  A marine biologist?  Sure!  An architect?  Maybe.  There was an unlimited number of options.  And when I truly contemplated it, the mind-blowing amount of choices scared me.  So I decided not to think about it and stick with the plan - I had a pretty distinct feeling this was what God wanted for me (well, you know, once I ditched the zoo-nursery thing) and I was glad I knew.  I didn't know how anyone could make a big decision like that without Him.

Now, I still don't know how people do it, but sometimes it's still not so easy for those of us trusting His direction.  I know which way I want to go.  But is it the way I need to go?  And what's more important here is that it's not just me anymore.  There's a whole family along with me.  We're kind of a packaged deal.  And I'm not the only one making decisions - in fact, I'm not making any decisions by myself.  Which, again, only seems to make it harder sometimes.

When did life get so complicated?


PS You may not have followed any of this, but trust me, if you knew what I was talking about, this would make so much more sense.

2 comments:

  1. Know that we are praying for you whatever is going on.

    Love you,
    Aunt Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. David and I have faced that a lot lately...and the hardest is choosing between two options that are Good/right. I really do think that, even though God has a plan for our lives and we will fulfill that plan, sometimes we're faced with two "right" choices. It is no longer the right/wrong of childhood. I'm sure you and Philip will make the Best choice as you pursue God's will in prayer and keep your hearts open for the doors of opportunity in your life.

    ReplyDelete