19 July 2010

Cease Striving

My little guy can get a little overeager sometimes when his tummy's a-grumblin'. Many times when I attempt to feed him he is so anxiously aiming to find food that he more often finds his fists instead - and quickly attaches himself to them. I find myself fighting with him, which, by the way, is pretty tough - baby arms are strong! I try to explain to the little guy that he's only getting in his own way; I'm trying to help. Of course, he ignores me and sometimes gets angry, until, of course, he realizes I really do have food for him, at which point he goes to town and forgets what we were even arguing about.

I realized the other morning (a 3am revelation for you) that things are no different between myself and God. Oftentimes I get entirely caught up in trying to get what I want and putting my own effort into making things happen. More often than not I end up in a bigger mess than I was when I started. Meanwhile, God is doing all He can to convince me to just give up and let Him show me the way. And I just get too darn stubborn.

I need to take the lesson I'm trying to teach my son and learn to just get out of my own way - who knows what I'll discover when I just stop fighting.

"Cease striving and know that I am God." - Psalm 46:10 (NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment