08 July 2010

Inspiration

I've been inspired. As lame as it sounds, my recent viewing of Julie & Julia has struck a chord with the blogger in me. Thus, I have a goal. In an effort to be more consistent with my blogging, I've decided to blog every day of my son's first year. I've missed out on 21 days, but I'm not going to let that stop me. I'm calling it "The first year of life for my second child as told from his third week." Like it? Okay, maybe it could take some work, but I like the 1-2-3 feel.

I'm looking forward to being forced to stop and notice what is going on around me every day. I've been afraid of losing the little moments with my second child, having seen many of the small changes as they occurred with my first. Thus, my blog will now serve as a stop sign, prodding me to look around and watch the grass grow in my life.

Our Emmett Bug (as I call him, heretofore known as EB), who entered this world at 8lb 5oz weighed in this morning at 10lb 12oz. And he's stretched 2 inches since birth as well. No one can accuse my children of not eating (you would also know this if you've ever seen my daughter, particularly at snack time). Before being weighed by the nurse this morning in his doctor's office, he chose to do me a favor while we had our alone time for me to strip him down to a clean diaper. Rather than costing me an entire diaper by holding it until I put the clean one on, he decided to let it spray right there on the examining table and all over the floor.

As I frantically grabbed paper towels and debated whether or not I was allowed to change the butcher paper without the aid of a nurse (I decided, being an adult and perfectly capable of pulling a sheet of paper, I could handle it), I repeated in my head my own mantra of, "I'm sure this is not the first baby to have peed in this office." Thus, breathing slowly and working my way through the paper towel dispenser, we survived and later the doctor assured me that the little girl who vomited on the floor last week was much worse.

That's when I decided not to tell her about the paci I gave back to EB (after a thorough wipe-down by my own fingers, of course) after he tossed it to the floor. She doesn't need to know everything.

1 comment:

  1. What a great story :) And, it is a great goal to blog everyday. Such a good way to notice and remember things!

    ReplyDelete