22 September 2010

Of Arrogance

Every Wednesday the Shawnee Rescue Mission hosts a lunch for the local struggling/homeless in a park across the street from the public library.  There have been many from our church who have gotten involved and, while providing aid in other ways, I have found multiple excuses to not be physically present.  Until today.  Today the excuses stopped (even though I kept trying).

After parking, I put Emmett in his sling, grasped Micaiah's hand and together we walked bravely toward the loud Christian music.  I'll have to admit - this was a big step outside of my comfort zone.  Don't get me wrong, I love to serve - service is one of my primary love languages - but I am not so good at ministering - striking up conversation, asking for prayer needs and altogether being a friend to those I don't know.  I am not typically an extrovert (shocking to some, I know).  But the main need on these Wednesdays for these people who have so little is a listening ear - a friend.

When I arrived I thought maybe I could find someone I knew and then weasel my way into a discussion they might already be having.  No such luck.  When I considered who I might be able to talk with, I found I was stuck.  I couldn't tell who was there to help and who to be helped.

And then I realized my problem. 

I was separating the group before I even got to know one person.  Us and them.  The haves and have nots.  I was there to befriend them - they need me.  That's what I had thought.  And I didn't want to offend the wrong person by assuming they were homeless when they were a mere volunteer like myself. 

And what would I say that would offend anyone?  Could it be an attitude of being talked down to?  Pity? 

Is that the attitude I need to have in any conversation with any person?

Yikes.

Even by the time I left I was having trouble remembering that we are all people - with no need for distinct groupings - one side of the serving line or the other - and my presence in that park was not life-changing to anyone - and that shouldn't be my goal - at least not by my own strength.  I was looking to my own leading rather than to God's.

Praying for improvement in my vision next week.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you for going! =) I wanted to so bad this week. I appreciate you sharing this. When I go it becomes very obvious to me when I'm there in the Holy Spirit and when I'm not. I've gone on days that I felt horribly awkward and was all elbows and thumbs in everything. Then other days I've felt the Holy Spirit lead me to serve and talk to people. I think for me, it's always getting out of my comfort zone and like you said, realizing that we're all the same deep down. It's growing pains, and I appreciate your candor and willingness to share how God's working in you!!

    ReplyDelete