24 September 2010

Of Looking Back

You may or may not know that I am currently spear-heading the effort in our rather large church of implementing a church library to cater to the masses.  It is quite the undertaking and would be completely overwhelming if I weren't sure this was a task given to me by God alone.

Although I'm not gonna lie, the thrill of scanning barcodes for a couple of hours kinda makes me giddy.

Also not gonna lie, spending a few hours a week working on getting the hundreds of books that have been donated entered into our meager system would be a lot easier without one two-year-old running around and one three-month-old who would be a lot happier nestled in his Boppy on the couch at home rather than in a bouncy seat borrowed from the church nursery.

At times, when I'm about ready to pull my hair out after my daughter has brought me about the 20th book from the number invading the shelves which she has determined should be read to her that instant and my son is screaming his hungry head off, I smile at the fact that someday, years from now, we will have a thriving library and my children will be borrowing their own favorite books for the umpteenth time and I will look back on these days like today, forgetting the insanity and only recalling fondly the fact that she was a mere toddler running around with her sippie asking for barcode stickers for herself at the foundation of it all - and I will be astounded at how far we have come.

These are the visions, reminiscing from the future, which keep me motivated.

1 comment:

  1. What software system are you using to catalog everything? (inquiring librarian is intrigued!) Glad to hear you're taking on the project. I know the church will be glad to have it all organized and maintained :)

    ReplyDelete