19 September 2010

Of Foreigners

While searching through my Bible today, I noticed it opened easily to one spot in particular - a place where the binding was cracked a little and the pages were nearing separation.  Knowing this sign of wear must have indicated a particular location of interest to myself, I noted it was falling open to Hebrews chapter 11.

And I smiled to myself.

While many passages have struck my fancy more than others in one particular season or another, this chapter, I recall, was one I once read as regularly as once a week or more - inspiration, motivation in the form of reminders of those who were defined by their faith - saints that had gone before - the great cloud of witnesses.  I particularly like one of the closing verses, verse 38, which defines these "characters" as "men of whom the world was not worthy."

Oh to have that said of me.

Another favorite was in verse 13, where these men and women are declared, as the Holman Christian Standard Bible translates, "foreigners and temporary residents on the earth."

These definitions were how I wanted to live.

I thought further, today, about this concept of Christians, Christians living by faith alone, as foreigners on this earth.  How do we recognize a foreigner?  Sometimes they look the same as you or I, or the guy next door who, although his parents or ancestors may have emigrated from a distant land is as thoroughly ingrained in our culture as you or I.  But when we interact with a true "foreigner" we notice.  There tends to be an accent, even if just a tiny bit, a confusing of the idioms, an awkwardness in performing the daily customs of which we think nothing.  There's just something - often many things - that sets them apart, lets us know that they have not quite fully assimilated to our culture, our ways of living.

And that is how I should be, as a faith-motivated follower of Christ.  It should be evident to those around me that I don't belong.  This world is not my home.  I am a temporary resident who speaks differently, acts differently and is all-around awkward when it comes to the ways of the culture in which I reside.

Most times, though, that is not me.  I find I may be blending a little too closely, working on hiding my accent or performing the rituals that will make me a little more comfortable in this temporary abode.

Lord, let my faith define me and my love for You be ever-present in my speech, actions and daily living.  With all my heart, Angela.

No comments:

Post a Comment