27 September 2010

Of Developing Personality

I think it is very interesting to note how early personality traits develop.  Micaiah was a little firecracker even in the womb (as designated by one frustrated nurse who couldn't keep up with her every move while trying to track her heart rate).  Her middle name, in fact, means "Little Fire." She has just always been a feisty one - sweet, but feisty.  Also, very organized and particular.  Right down to being born on her due date, she knows that everything has its place and wants to be sure to maintain that balance.  When she gets in trouble for holding something she shouldn't have, rather than just dropping it, she must put it back where she found it, and in the same position - sweet, but frustrating at times.

Now, Emmett hasn't had much opportunity to show his personality, but I can already tell he is much more mellow than his sister - more a follower than a leader.  The poor kid, if Micaiah's being born on time is an indication of her personality, Emmett's being induced to fit everyone's schedule already says so much about his future.  And then there's today. 

My little man rolled over today! 

I was not expecting it at all.  In fact, I'd been worried (not nail-biting worried but, "hey-maybe-we-should-do-something-about-that" worried) that he wouldn't do so anytime soon as the poor kid usually has to sit on the sofa so as to stay out of the way of a rambunctious big sister.  He doesn't get a whole lot of tummy time and when he does, it's usually filled with much crying or much sleeping - not so much action.  But I've been more persistent lately that my boy get his floor time in anyway - I would like if he could somewhat keep up with standard milestones.  So, today, I placed him on his belly and went about my business.  It wasn't until I discovered my daughter pressing on his tummy with her foot (yes, she got a spanking for trying to stand on her brother) that it occurred to me he couldn't be laying on his belly while his sister tried to crush his belly - he had rolled over! 

There was no big commotion, no leading up to it, no indication at any point before that he was even interested in trying to roll over.  I remember Micaiah trying so hard for weeks (or maybe days, I can't recall) to get it right.  In fact, she rolled over a couple of times at Christmas and then didn't perform an encore for another three weeks!  But it seemed like Emmett just thought, "You know, I think I'll roll over today." And he did.  Three times, actually.

He may be patient, he may be mellow, but my little man can do what he sets his mind to ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment