13 November 2010

Of Being Early

I used to be a Nazi about the timing of Christmas décor and other Seasonal signals.  Christmas music of any sort was not to begin playing until the day after Thanksgiving and not one ornament should be seen in any store or home before that time, either.  I grew peeved with the retail world apparently not owning calendars of any sort and skipping directly from shelves filled with witch's costumes and an overabundance of orange and black candy packages to those overflowing with stockings, garland and green and red M&M's.  What happened to Thanksgiving?!  This was madness!

And now, owning a home of my own, I have entered into this crazy world of desiring to be surrounded by the Christmas spirit as early as possible.  I told my husband I wanted to put up our tree on November 1st, but he demurred quite successfully for awhile.   I, too, admitted that it seemed a tad early and, being the Coca-Cola thermometer (which only recently replaced the Jack Daniels remnant from the previous owners) still read in the mid-seventies, the winter effect which tends to bring about the Christmas mood was hardly a factor.

Until today.  Today, with a chill in the air and ornaments on my table (décor I recently put together for a Holiday show promoting my Pampered Chef business), I decided I was really ready.

So, yes, there's a tree in my living room, all decked out with meaningful ornaments from our life together thus far.  There are stockings hung from the mantle (although still missing one, we haven't found the perfect design for our little man as of yet), wreaths in our entryway and various nativity scenes grace our entertainment center.  Our home wreaks of Christmas spirit.  And I love it.  I love everything this season represents and I like to cling to the visual reminders for as long as possible.

So all you Grinches out there step off.  Yeah, I said it.

PS One of many favorite moments of the day: reading Micaiah the Story of Christmas while acting it out with her Little People Nativity from Gram and Grandy.  Seeing her tiny hands placing the wise men in their spot on her dresser so as to properly give adoration to the baby Jesus: priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment