01 November 2010

Of Breaking the Rules

After being gone most of the evening, I arrived home only minutes after my big girl had laid down for the night.  I snuggled my little man close before feeding him and realized how much I'd missed his fuzzy head in just a few hours and was sad to have lost the chance for a sweet bedtime hug from my Caiah Bear.  Thus, when she made a sound around 10:15, I went in to give her a kiss and tell her good night. 

This is when she decided to tell me she had to go potty.  Now, I knew it was most likely a ruse because she often does this to get out of doing something else (such as sleeping), but not wanting to call her a liar and force her to pee her pants at any given moment, we tend to give her the benefit of the doubt.  So, she scampered off to climb onto the potty.  When she got there, she, in her sleepy delusional state, whisper-screamed excitedly for Daddy with a goofy grin on her face, pointed out the "horsey" (unicorn), "house" (castle) and "hat" (crown) on her p.j.'s, sang a little and all around had a silly time doing nothing - especially nothing of significance regarding said potty.  But I didn't mind.  I'd missed that silly girl.

And so it was that when she was done in the bathroom I decided to let her cuddle with me on the couch, sharing my tortilla chips, while Philip and I finished a show on Hulu.  It felt like we were breaking the rules, staying up late and munching bedtime snacks, and I love that because I'm the rule-maker, it doesn't even matter.

What wonderful stolen moments.

2 comments: