03 November 2010

Of Mommy Time

Bible Study this morning was a little more relaxed - not that we're an uptight group or that we take ourselves too seriously, but when we're taking an in-depth look at the Word, I like to be distraction-free.  Today, however, we were taking a break from 1 Samuel to learn ideas for simplifying our holidays.  Thus, I did something rare.

I let Emmett join me in Bible Study rather than dropping him into the arms of doting nursery workers.  I wanted him in my own doting arms for just a little while.

After feeding him his bottle and apologizing to those at my table who had to witness his incredible ability to deposit his used milk on both he and myself, I was able to spend a good hour just holding my son.  Feeling his little warmth in my arms and watching him fall asleep.  What an amazing opportunity!

Being that the amount of time spent nursing Emmett is typically just at Micaiah's limit for the amount of time she's okay with my not giving her my undivided attention (and even that is pushing it at times) and when she IS entertained elsewhere I'm grabbing my precious free moments for use in the kitchen or keeping up with housework (which, ask certain people and they'll tell you, I don't tend to do an awesome job with), I practically never have the time to just enjoy my son and his presence in my arms.

So today I did.

I hugged him close.  I smelled his hair.  I watched his eyes drift closed.  And I thanked the Lord for stolen moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment