08 November 2010

Of Free Smiles

I've been mentioning to some lately that I've recently discovered one of the biggest differences to me between my son and my daughter at this four-month stage. 

In all of Micaiah's "baby" pictures she appears very serious.  A documented smile was rare and even then required Mommy or Daddy behind the photographer making goofy sounds and jumping in between shots for a quick tickle.  If we didn't do that what we usually got was a cocked eyebrow and a look that said, "What are you doing?"  And even in those undocumented moments we had to work hard for our smiles.  She wasn't giving them up to just anybody!  These days, that serious sass has not budged an inch.  She spends more time shaking her head, pouting her lip and intently working on whatever toy is in her hand than she does outright giggling and grinning.  And she'll NEVER smile for the camera.

Emmett?  He's a grinning fool.  I always feel I need to find another word to describe his smile because I use "grin" a lot.  But that's just what it is.  It's not a little hint of a smirk or a shy widening of the mouth - this boy grins, dimples and all.  He just loves to smile.  He'll show off those gums to anyone who glances his direction and he's more than happy to do so for the camera, also (although most often I get the deer-in-headlights look in snapshots - which is also adorable).  That little man is so easy to please.

On a side note:  Scenes from my day:  This is what was going on while I did dishes this morning:
 Micaiah colored peacefully at the table while her brother discovered the animals on the seesaw on his bouncy seat.  Yes, they're cute.


No comments:

Post a Comment