12 January 2011

Of Daily Renewal

The peace which overcame me yesterday morning as I spent time in the Word did, indeed, carry with me throughout the day.

I found I spent less time on the computer and more time twisting with my daughter to the "Purple People Eater" station on Pandora (which quickly, due to my penchant for the thumbs up button and ear for good, clean fun, became just plain oldies) while she donned her tutu and fairy wings (the only appropriate attire for swinging to the oldies for those females under the age of five in this house).

Less time doing busy work and more time sitting in the glider in her room (which hasn't had quality usage since she stopped nursing in the middle of the night) while she watched Toy Story on VHS on her tiny TV (which is almost NEVER used) and rocked on her hand-made wooden rocking horse (not hand-made by anyone in this house, mind you - we're not blessed with that kind of talent) and Emmett sat near her chewing a teddy bear.

Less "let Mommy help you"  and more "want to help Mommy"? 

Discipline moments became teachable moments.

I know it sounds almost as if the Beav, joined by big brother Wally, came over that afternoon to hang out, but it really was the kind of day Stay-at-Home Moms dream of.  And it all started with peace.

This morning, as a Wednesday morning, was another time of trying to get the three of us ready to head out the door at a time that would only make us reasonably late to Bible Study (rather than obnoxiously late).  Therefore, due to lack of discipline in pulling myself out of bed when Emmett was done with breakfast, and, instead, my sending him off with Daddy (who, unfortunately, has no choice between sleeping in or starting his day), I missed my daily time of basking in the Holy Spirit (which, quite honestly, has been missed rather often lately).  I tried, instead, to draw upon the "leftovers" from yesterday.  While it semi-worked and I had a semi-peace-filled day, I also noticed a lot of not-peace-filled responses from myself to very insignificant events.

Thus, I'm learning my lesson.  I can't survive on leftovers.  If I intend to live a life of Holiness, characterized by peace, I need to return to habitually weaving myself into God with the dawn of each new day - not just when I "get the chance."  I suppose you could say I'm downright resolute.  I know it's two weeks overdue and by this point most everyone else has given up on their commitments for the year, but is it too late to jump on the bandwagon.  At least there's more room now, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment