21 January 2011

Of Sass

I've been telling this little story all week but thought it should be immortalized on my blog so I could remember it until she's old and gray (ok, so she can read about it when she's old and gray because I doubt I'll still be here then).

We learned last week that our daughter is a) truthful to a fault and b) all about the technicalities.

As we stood in the kitchen, I asked her to come to me and, instead, she walked away, toward her Daddy in the living room.

In my calm, yet stern, voice (the one that says, "I mean business" - you know which one I'm talking about), I asked her, "Micaiah.  What do we do when Mommy asks you to do something?"  This is the moment when she typically turns around and sulks back to me, or at least stops walking and stares me down.

Not this time.

This time she responded with all the attitude in her being, at the top of her voice, "I say, 'No, CAN'T!!!'"

It was one of those bite-my-lip-because-this-shouldn't-make-me-laugh moments.  And in my head I responded, "Yes, technically, that is what you do."  Granted, that kind of response gets a spanking and I'm pretty sure her Daddy handled it that time because I was too busy fighting back the giggles (he was doing a fair job of doing the same).

I suppose it's time we learn to re-word the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment