22 January 2011

Of Our Daily Ritual

Under the advice of a trusted friend (and certified counselor, so he knows his stuff), Philip and I implemented into our nightly routine about two months ago a dialogue wherein we answer three questions for each other:

1. What was the best part of your day?
2. What was the worst part of your day?
3. What is your hope for tomorrow?

Honestly, you would be astounded how much three little questions once a day have completely opened up the lines of communication.  Over the course of 60(ish) days, I have learned what aspects of the day my husband most appreciates.  I know how to make him smile and I know how to make each day a little better.  I know what to avoid or when I can see a trigger set, I know how to smooth things over.  (And he's learned the same of me.)  When I know what he expects to get out of the next day, I know how to help him achieve that goal.

We work together as a team.  And lately, the first two questions have gotten harder to answer.  The first offers too many choices; the second offers little.

So, just for today, I'll give you a sneak peek into my answers (don't tell Philip, it'll spoil the surprise):

1. The best part of my day was making my son smile after five(esque) hours in the car, with two still to go (it was a round trip to retrieve our car from family members).  He was definitely losing his patience with this "riding in the carseat" business and would not have it with a pacifier or any make-shift toy fished from the diaper bag.  But his Mommy holding her face close to his and singing "A Whole New World" softly in his cheek?  That seemed to do the trick.  And with it, my day was a little better.
2.  The worst part of my day was the toll the same amount of time also took on the two adults in the car.  Coupled with not as much sleep as it should have been, we were not at our best with one another (hey, I said earlier things were better, but life isn't always peaches and cream, is it?)
3.  My hope for tomorrow is that God would speak to our hearts as we attend church in the morning, that we would have peace, even in the little decisions, and that the rest of the day would hold the calm and relaxation lacking from the previous portions of the weekend.

Good night, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment