10 January 2011

Of My Best Friend

I tease my husband a lot.  He's a dork.  He knows it (though still defends himself in his love for all things nerdy).  And when he forgets, I like to remind him.  But the reality is, I wouldn't have him any other way.

He's my best friend.

He's the one person in the entire world with whom I am completely, unapologetically myself.  For better or worse.  He has not once made me feel an idiot for something I've said or done (I only wish I could say the same for how I've treated him - we're working on it).

Tonight, as I headed to the E.R. for inexplicable pain (which is, apparently, nothing - but that's not the point), there was only one person I wanted by my side.  And not because I was afraid or too sick to do anything on my own, but because I wanted his company.  He is my support and a great source of comfort.

When I feel dumb for apparently being a hypochondriac, he assures me it's just fine and I didn't do anything wrong.  In fact, when I first told him I was in pain, he took it seriously - more seriously than I did in the beginning.  If he had come to me with the same complaints, I would have implied he was a whiner and it couldn't be as bad as he thought. 

I have a lot of work to do before I hope to be the kind of spouse and friend to my husband as he has consistently been to me.

Thank you, Lord, for sending me a friend, confidante, companion and partner of whom I am completely unworthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment