26 January 2011

Of Obsession

I always said (notice how every time I start a post this way it means that my life is clearly not under my control) my child would not become overcome by any particular cartoon character.  While she has a clear love for Dora the Explorer (even to the point of owning Dora underwear and pajamas purchased by family members), I felt we had that under control and she would be just fine if we decided to watch, say, Arthur, instead.

However, after watching Toy Story 3 multiple times over the Christmas holiday and then coming home to an iPad on which Mommy installed the Toy Story app (being one of few free and quality child-directed apps), it would seem our daughter is developing a love for not just the cast of wonderful toys, but one in particular.

We could tell when she started referring to playing with the app as, "I want Buzz!"  At first I thought this was her generic way to refer to something she didn't quite know the name of.  But I was wrong.  While she refers to this entire Disney trilogy by that same name, her heart must skip a beat at the sight of that computer-animated astronaut - at least the thrill in her voice conveys that it must.

Therefore today, when a friend who had heard of our child's new obsession, retrieved a Buzz Lightyear stuffed toy from her donation box and decided to donate this, instead, to our wonderful toddler, I was touched.  And Micaiah was elated.

From the moment we walked in the door, she asked to watch Buzz.  Of course, the DVD was still in the player, paused from where we left off yesterday, so I pressed "play" and smiled at my daughter, standing inches from the T.V., hand softly on the face of the cartoon Buzz, other arm hugging tightly her new friend.

I suppose it could be worse - at least she won't be bathed in pink and fake high heels for at least a little while longer ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment