15 August 2010

Failure

I failed.

After a month of consistency, I finally actually got through a whole day without blogging. Truthfully, I was tempted to change the date on this entry just for my own peace of mind. But here I am, for the sake of honesty, blogging in limbo - as in yesterday has ended but today has not yet started, but since I'm up at 4:15ish (thanks to a certain hungry little guy), I may as well post while it's fresh.

It's so strange that I forgot, too, considering it's finally become second nature, once again, to live my life on a blog. See, once upon a time (as in, about five years ago), I was so addicted to blogging as a way to connect that with nearly everything I saw or encountered I thought, "I so need to blog this!" As a result I blogged every day (sometimes twice or thrice) not from some obligation or self-dare, but naturally. I just loved pouring it out. And now I'm reaching this stage again.

Which would be why yesterday I found myself planning my blog while I was in the thick of its probable subject matter.

Due to an unfortunate judge of sizing while ordering some shirts on-line (we'll talk about that another day, it's still too fresh for me right now) and the fact that the closest store of that particular chain was at a mall in the City about an hour away, we decided to make a day of the trip to return them. We had a plan: lunch, the mall, Home Depot (for Philip). Sweet. Simple. Relaxing.

It started out right: lunch at Fazoli's - one can never complain about that. Sadly it took me until just this point in my life to discover how pricey my fast-food-Italian addiction is (fortunately for me, this Fazoli's an hour away is the closest one to us so I don't get to indulge in said pricey addiction very often). Honestly, though, our entire family shared one combo meal with an added drink and it still cost us $12 - which for a tight-fisted budgeter like me is almost robbery.

Anyway, we had breadsticks, I was happy.

Next stop, the mall. Now, as any parent of young children could have told me, this is where it all breaks down.

First of all, did you know that going to the mall is a popular thing to do? Thus, when shopping with two stroller-bound children, the line for the elevator is so long that it takes 5-10 minutes simply to get from floor A to floor B. Yeah, we didn't.

And after that fiasco, it was only a matter of time, when Emmett refused his bottle as we sat on a cozy sun-drenched (read: hot!) bench outside the germ zoo (read: children's play area) where Micaiah and Daddy frollicked, before I found myself sitting cross-legged on the floor in an abandoned corner of the mall, leading to an Emergency exit, nursing my son, who had now, all told, added an hour to our shopping extravaganza.

This was the point, when faced with nothing but two empty strollers (Daddy was entertaining Micaiah with a nice jaunt around the place) and a blank white wall that the thought came: "I so need to blog about this."

Because that's parenting

After this point, we kicked it into high gear, returned the shirts and hightailed it on out of there. After a quick stop at Home Depot we felt we'd ventured out enough to last us a month at least. There's a reason some young parents never leave the house and I'm near ready to join that homebody party.

Oh, who am I kidding? We joined that party a long time ago.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah! I figured out how to comment! About the mall in the city, what a nightmare to nurse in!

    ReplyDelete