27 August 2010

Of Nesting

It would appear the "nesting" instinct hit me a bit late with this past pregnancy as I did very little by way of prepping our home before little guy was born and since I have been a frantic frenzy of nesting energy, attacking areas which have lacked human contact since before the days when Emmett was a mere twinkle in our eyes (and some, sad to say, have never even had a single glance, other than those of utter disgust at their unkempt nature, since the day we signed our names to the deed of this house - or perhaps the day after, when we actually moved in, but let's not split hairs).

In the past two months I have begun to sweep/mop our floors weekly (a routine I had abandoned soon after my schedule included working around one tiny baby's needs, let alone two), the surface of our dresser and bathroom counter were once again allowed to see the light of day, I have ceased the activity of casually discarding clothes onto the bedroom/bathroom floors (I know most wives complain about their husbands, but my former dirty little secret is that I was the cause of the grand majority of disarray in our home), our bed is now made every day (again, an action which I can hardly remember even doing once in the past two years, let alone daily), I have cleaned out the refrigerator and the pantry (I haven't mustered the courage to face the freezer), and this very day I unleashed the monster that was our "Tupperware" cabinet (which, in actuality, contains only one piece of said name brand, but having grown up in a home with two former consultants whose kitchen is currently over-run with the Tupperware of the early nineties, I shall forever refer to our meager cabinet of store-bought cheap plastic by the more lofty title which it has not, in truthfulness, earned).  I finally even hung a few things on Emmett's wall - eventually he'll have the nursery I once envisioned.

I have no idea where all this energy has come from.  I chalk it up to being tired of being unable to be nearly this active for the near nine months I carried Emmett.  Whatever the cause, I can almost hear the praises of our home shouting, "You like me, you really like me!"  I think we're on our way to being close friends yet.

PS If you look really closely at this post, I think you may find the longest sentence in the history of blogging (or at least my personal best).

1 comment: