31 August 2010

Of Godly Discipline

"It is for discipline that you have to endure.  God is treating you as sons.  For what son is there whom his father does not discipline?  If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons." - Hebrews 12:7-8

I have often in my life taken these words a little too closely to heart.  As in, I have stood in the crowd, watching and hurting for those in pain; I have seen others stand in the midst of God's refining fire and witnessed them come out on the other side stronger, with a faith that has truly been perfected in suffering.  Surely, God has brought forth a divine discipline to grow these people into the children He desires.  And then I look at my own life - not perfect by any means - but, still, devoid of anything I would truly consider to be a fire of any sort.  While I have felt shame at my actions and seen consequences I would have preferred to avoid, I cannot honestly say I understand the feeling of suffering.

And at times this has bothered me.  Not for some sadistic need to feel true pain but for the above verse - if I am truly a son (daughter) of God, why do I not receive this most difficult form of discipline?  Does God not think me strong enough?  Or am I so lost beyond repair that He has given up?  Not that these feelings are currently the ones that bombard my life, but I have had them in the past.

Today while reading this passage once again, along with the study notes included with my English Standard Version, I have come to a better understanding of what Godly discipline truly entails.  These notes say, "Discipline was a common term for childrearing through instruction, training, and correction."

Here is what struck me: often when we consider the term discipline, we think only of the harsh consequences.  When I think of disciplining my children I first think of spankings.  But I forget that a large part of disciplining my toddler is teaching her what is right in the first place and training her not to do what is wrong.  The punishment is only what comes after the disobedience - it is not the entirety of the discipline.

Thus, while we, as children of God, may not be in a constant state of suffering, we are always in a state of discipline - but perhaps this season of our lives is meant for instruction, or training (practice for the real test down the road).  We may never know.

But what we can know through faith is that if we have called on the name of the Lord and trusted Him with our lives, He calls us his sons (and daughters) and will continue to raise us up as his own.  We have security in his love for us.

That middle part of verse 7 just speaks comfort and love to my soul, "God is treating you as sons."

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for shedding some light on this. I too forgot that discipline encompasses a lot more than just punishment.

    ReplyDelete