28 August 2010

Of Philosophizing

Not to get too Lion King on you, but lately I have been thinking a lot about the circle of life (and how it moves us all ;) ).  As I hold my baby Emmett I marvel at the fact that I, myself, was once as tiny as he and did little more than make funny faces and stare at the world around me.  I'm sure my parents also made goofy faces in an attempt to inspire one tiny grin.

I suppose I've just never thought about that before.

Once upon a time my parents were my age and I, rather than being the center of their universe, was just one part of their lives, which is true even today.  I know this, because it is true of my children and I.  I love them with all my heart and, yes, at times it feels as though all I do is focused on their needs, but I also have a little bit of a life of my own.  I  have friends with whom I enjoy spending time, with or without my beautiful children.  I have hobbies.  My husband and I go on dates and, while we spend a lot of time discussing our bundles of joy, we actually have a wide array of conversation which does not always include them.

And someday this fact will amaze them, if they ever even consider it.  They, too, will be amazed that their parents were ever young or that Philip and I are, in fact, individuals who did not exist solely for the purpose of bringing them into the world.

What a mind bender.

No comments:

Post a Comment