25 October 2010

Of Changing Seasons

Changing seasons for me now includes, along with the falling of the leaves, the blowing of the boisterous Oklahoma wind and the cooling temperatures, the switching out of my children's wardrobes.  We have been very blessed by family and friends with many gifts and even more hand-me-downs.  I have not once needed to buy my children any clothing (that's not to say I have not done so, but I rarely do and never out of pure necessity).  Thus, each new season means unboxing the previously stored used clothing and boxing up the  too-small pieces in her drawers to save for another daughter someday down the road. 

In the past this has been an exciting time - like going shopping.  It was so much fun to discover all the adorable clothing we'd been given and our beautiful children would now have the chance to wear.

Now, after two years of getting to play dress-up, the thrill has worn off a little and I primarily notice the fact that new clothes mean another season's worth of clothing my daughter won't be able to wear ever again.  While she hasn't yet outgrown her skirts and tank tops I know they won't fit next year.  She's growing and I can't stop her.

I haven't gotten to Emmett's clothes yet, but I know it'll be just the same - that precious boy is growing faster than he needs and is already comfortable in 6-9month clothing.  I'm just not sure if I can take it.

Motherhood is teeming with nostalgia.

No comments:

Post a Comment