20 October 2010

Of Simple Moments

I know I've been dwelling on the small things lately, but that's where I'm living right now: learning to relish those tiny moments that string together to make life.

The Simple Moments of Today:
- After breakfast this morning, I followed Micaiah's instructions to sit on the kitchen floor while she showed me all of her favorite magnets.  Then got me "water" from her sink and fed me "cookies" (more of the magnets).
- The kids and I went grocery shopping and Micaiah did a really good job of staying close (she actually usually doesn't do too bad - and she did kind of unravel at the end - and she may or may not have opened a box of pizza dough mix [it could not be determined if she found the box in said state or did it herself] - but overall, she was good - she's only two, after all)
- After lunch, while Emmett napped, Micaiah and I went outside to play.  We had races, kicked her big blue ball back and forth and had a grand time playing with her Little Tikes Tree House.  She's so fun.
- While Micaiah napped, Emmett laid in his play gym and discovered the fun toys that tangle from the bars.  Later, during dinner, he learned how to make the music play from his toy lion.  He loved that.  And watching him grab for the lion was absolutely adorable.  I tend to forget to let him play, assuming he's still too little, but he's such a big boy and now that I realize what I've been missing out on, he's going to get a lot more play-time!
- After dinner, Philip and I had a good time swinging Micaiah and throwing her onto our bed.  Not to leave out Emmett, we did the same with him (in a much more gentle manner).  They both LOVED it.  Of course, we also jumped on the bed a few times ourselves, giving Micaiah quite the thrill as she watched us leap toward her.
- Before bed, I put in a DVD which came with Micaiah's Bible Story book - something she's had since she was born but we've only just opened yesterday.  We sang along with the Bible songs and listened to the stories on the DVD.  She really enjoyed it all and it was a nice way to wind down before bed (although apparently she didn't wind down enough - she tossed and turned for two more hours!).
- Our little girl had NO potty training accidents today (well, she had wet pants after her nap, but I'm ok with that for now) - only one underwear change all day!!!
- Before tucking Emmett in, he learned all about typical Pirate punishments.  Apparently the Cat O' Nine Tails is quite humorous.  Then again, this boy grins at anything.  He's pretty easily entertained.

And that was my day.

A great day, if I do say so. Funny how noticing the littlest things makes a day feel all the more fulfilling.

1 comment: