12 October 2010

Of Growing Too Fast

Today was filled with those moments.  Those moments when I say to myself, "You're not old enough for this!"

- Emmett rolled over back-to-front.  He hasn't even rolled front-to-back again since that first day.  And yet, I laid him down for his nap on his back (like a good, culturally-brainwashed mommy) and when I checked on his monitor about 15 minutes later, he was snoozing soundly on his tummy.  When did he get old enough to roll both ways?!

- Micaiah has begun to use her potty training to her advantage.  Mommy's not paying enough attention?  "I want potty." (Because, you know, then Mommy has to sit there with her.)  I don't want to finish my lunch? "I want potty." (Because then she's allowed out of her seat rather than forced to finish her sandwich that moment - or rather, that worked the first time, not so much since then.) When did she get old enough to figure out how to manipulate Mommy?!

- When Micaiah woke from her nap and I asked her to potty, she refused.  Upon being asked, "Why don't you want to potty?," she very clearly, with face pointed downward, rolled her eyes and sighed, "Because . . . no want potty." - in a very distinctly teenager "why do I have to explain myself to you?" voice (also, this was her first time using the word "Because" - I'm so glad it was used in context).  I'll admit - this was also one of those cover-my-mouth-with-my-fist-so-she-doesn't-see-the-laugh moments.  When did she get old enough for this kind of attitude?!

My kids are growing way too fast. 

1 comment:

  1. Hehe oh the joys of potty training :-). I'm not looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete