09 October 2010

Of Feeling Forgotten

I try to lie to myself.  I tell myself I am not one of those bloggers who quantifies her life by the rising amount of subscribers or the amount of written responses.  I tell myself it doesn't matter what people think because I'm writing this for myself - my audience is merely a mass accountability partner which motivates me to hold to my agenda of daily documentation of the small things.  I tell myself that.  But I lie.

I realize it's a lie when I do a quick glance at the number of subscribers each day as I log in.  I note, with a tinge of sadness in my mental commentary, the number has remained stagnant for a good number of weeks now. 

I realize it's a lie when I hope all day to receive just one comment on something I have written.  And when my heart does a little jump at seeing that someone has read the words I've typed and cared enough to respond (and not to offend either person or to say I don't appreciate their commentary because I so do, but somehow it means a little more when it comes from someone other than the women who gave birth to either myself or my husband - when it comes from someone to whom my daily ramblings shouldn't matter - but they somehow do).

And I kind of hate that.

I hate that I have yet to rise above needing to hear the responses of others to my personal digest of often insignificant thoughts and events.

Sigh.

And that's not even what I've come here to write.  I came here to talk about Emmett - the little man who is so often ignored in our bustling household only because he has yet to do much bustling of his own.  And I suppose that even this post - which was to be dedicated to the desire to devote as much time to him in this stage of his life as I was able to devote to his lovely older sister - has somehow become a metaphor for his entire life thus far.  Completely overwritten by the selfish needs of someone else.

Oh, I love that little man and I do hope someday he will forgive me for those days when it just doesn't seem that I care.  Because even though he won't remember days like today when we've committed so much time to teaching his sister to use the potty that we've barely noticed him at all, I know this won't be the last time he'll feel forgotten.  And I pray that even on days like today he'll always know that I love him more than my own breath - and more than any readers or any comments.

I love the smell of his hair and the feel of that cockatoo sprig as it brushes my chin when he rests his cheek on my chest.  I love that wonderful smile he is so ready to give whenever I spare just a moment to look his direction - so forgiving, so happy just be seen.  I love the tiny rolls in his chubby little thighs and how wide his eyes get when you talk to him about things he can't understand (which, of course, at this point, is just about everything) and then, after widening those baby blues/browns/grays (we've yet to decide), he breaks out the sweetest giggle.  I love how he coos for hours after his sister has gone to bed - for even now he recognizes this small window of opportunity, when she is resting, as the time to be heard.

I love him with every fiber I possess and wish with all my heart I had all the time to give him that I was able to give his sister.  And I love him because even at three and a half months he seems to understand. 

5 comments:

  1. As you've mentioned before, it just goes with his character (or I should say apparent character, as it's hard to know for sure when he's only just beginning to play with things). He's a laid back kiddo and that's lucky for us. If he weren't then I have no idea how we'd juggle him and his sister. Someday, though, he'll be the one demanding all our attention as we potty train him and I'm sure that Micaiah, though she won't likely enjoy the lack of attention, will do a swell job of coping in the interim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy your blog and read it everyday:) And I know exactly how you feel about subscribers/comments/views. Don't get down, you're leaving a legacy for your beautiful babies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog and look forward to it every day. It's my window on your world. I love hearing about the kids and each new adventure you undertake together. Your insights into God's word and the things He is teaching you, inspire and challenge me. Yes, I guess it's natural that your writing would be important to me because you're part of the family. However, even if we didn't have that connection I would still have to acknowledge that you are an amazing woman. That you are also part of my family is an added blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You matter to me!! Hehe. Here's a giant E-hug ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angela,

    I haven't seen you at all in the 5 years since we lived in Russia together, nor do I think we've even really spoken since then. But I wanted you to know that I have been faithfully reading your blog and looking at the pictures you post, and it's something that I definitely look forward to everyday. :-) I haven't commented on anything before, because after going so long without actually speaking to you, I didn't want you to think that I was being super stalkerish! Just from reading all of your posts and being friends with you on facebook, I kind of feel like your friend in real life too! (And I do wish that Oklahoma and Rhode Island weren't so far away so that we actually could be!) I have loved watching your family grow and I am so often encouraged by the insights that you share about what God is doing in your life and how he is working in your heart. So many times I can totally relate to what you have written and I'm always impressed how eloquently you are able to express what is so jumbled inside my own head. So be encouraged that even though the number of official followers to your blog may remain the same and seem insignificant, you are actually reaching many more people than you are aware of. You are also having a great impact on the lives of many other people- because of your blog, for example, I became aware of Jon, Amy, and baby Ella. My family, my Bible study group, and my church, have all been faithfully praying for them since Ella was born. But we never would have even known about that family and their specific needs if you had never written about it in your blog. So be encouraged! And now that I have finally broken the silence and revealed to you how much our one-sided friendship matters to me, you can expect many more comments and feedback from me! :-)

    ~Hannah

    ReplyDelete