01 October 2010

Of This Perfect Day

It's rare that I would ever designate a day as perfect - but I'm not sure there are many that could top the simplistic goodness of this particular October 1st.

I'm sure the fact that Emmett slept completely through the night for the first time ever (we're talking 9pm-8:30am) had a good bit to do with it.  The first night of more than 6 hours of consecutive sleep in three and a half months will do wonders for one's attitude.  Thus, I woke up at 7:45ish this morning to the sound of my adorable daughter, both of us refreshed and ready for a new day.

While she ate breakfast, I checked in with the WiiFit - my end-of-the-week ritual.  Down another 1.3lbs from last week (and that includes the stress-brownies I baked on Wednesday!) and only 4.2 pounds from hearing the tiny electronic voice pronounce, "That's normal!" for the first time ever (as opposed to the typical overweight or obese diagnoses).

After a nice morning meal for everyone, we all suited up for the day - Emmett donned the "Little Pumpkin" onesie that once belonged to his sister.  The season of being able to wear adorable jack-o-lanterns on one's front is a short one indeed, so we've got to hit the ground running with this one piece of October holiday wear in his closet.  And, thus appropriately attired, we headed to the grocery store.

Once upon a time we regularly ordered groceries from Angel Food Ministries, from whence came all of our meat supply.  A few months ago, however, I began to realize that with my affinity for coupon deals really taking over our grocery budget, I could use the same amount of money to get more food, food I get to pick myself.  However, I had so been in the habit of not buying meat, it's been hard to get back in the swing of things.  Today, however, I used the rather minuscule budget left for this week almost entirely on beef and chicken meaning we'll be able to move past meals of pasta, tuna casserole, eggs and lasagna for the first time in quite awhile.

Thus, unpackaging said meat and preparing it for freezing felt really good.  Especially being able to do so while my daughter quietly unloaded her groceries behind me on the kitchen floor (read: she sat with her basket of plastic food and deposited it all over the tile - but at least she picked it up later, right?) and my son napped for a half hour in his carseat.  The two of them also gave me time to get some dishes done.

The afternoon was spent doing puzzles with Micaiah and then watching "Finding Nemo" - during which she pleaded alongside Dory when Marlin decided to leave her behind.  Micaiah pointed earnestly at the clown fish and said, "Pees!  No go!"  Too cute for words, honestly.

After naps, Bible Study, laundry and a little bit of hulu, Philip arrived home and following a dinner of California Pizza Kitchen (yay for pizza Fridays and yay for coupons for pricey frozen pizza), we headed into the backyard to play with some new toys we recently ordered from kids.woot.com.

Finally, after a couple rounds of hide-and-seek (Micaiah is not so awesome at hiding - her "I wan Daddy!" tends to give away her location every time), a bedtime story, prayers and kisses, one little girl went to bed and after a bedtime snack, her little brother did the same.

Now, here we are, having finished watching our Friday night movie, relaxing.

Because that's what a good Friday is made of.

No comments:

Post a Comment