14 August 2011

Of Potty Training (Take 3)

Here we are on Day 2 of our third (fourth?) attempt at potty training our little girl.

I had a moment yesterday when I suddenly remembered our previous seven-month-long endeavor and the fact that she actually would go out without accidents and be able to let us know when she needed to make a visit to the potty while we were at, say, Wal-Mart.  Home, however, was another story - she didn't seem to mind creating a mess in her own house.  This was what finally caused me to throw in the towel - seven months of a toddler on the brink of embracing the concept without ever making the plunge.

I decided then and there, in my car yesterday afternoon, this is it.  We're done playing games.  We're not turning back; we're jumping in with both feet.  We'll do it positively, encouragingly, and with much applause and smiles, of course, but we'll make it clear - this is it.

Upon awaking from her nap, I declared there would be no more FuzziBunz [cloth diapers] for her.  Confused, she ran to her closet, pointed to the brimming diaper basket and reminded me, "Yes, more FuzziBunz!"

"Nope," I told her, "We're giving those to Emmett.  You'll have to learn to use underwear."

But for now, we're not using anything at home.  We've tried it before and, yes, it was messy, but I know our mess-hating daughter will hate the idea of piddling on the floor at this point in her life.  So, today, while she didn't exactly tell us she had to go, and wasn't very enthusiastic about trying, she certainly held it for a long time.

And, eventually, she gave in and headed to the potty, when I knew she probably couldn't hold it much longer.

So, here's what we've learned: she can resist the urge to go, she can tell us beforehand if she wants to, but she hates, under all circumstances, being told what to do.

We'll see how this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment